Monday, August 24, 2009

Amazing Desserts

Hello everyone. I promise I have not forgotten about you. I failed to mention that my other obsession in life is reading. I have been at home this past week and was trying to finish up some library books that needed to be returned in Houston, hence why I have not blogged in a few days. My sincere apologies.

So, I have had some pretty amazing food experiences since my last blog, and I probably should go in order that they occurred, but I just can't. There are two desserts that I had the other day that I have been dying to blog about. Ever since I started blogging, I have been paying careful attention to the flavors and textures of each and everything I eat. I have considered carrying a notebook around with me to take notes, but luckily my handy dandy phone has a notes section that I usually type key words to jog my memory of each dish. Lists of books that I want to read and movies that I want to see can also be found in the notes section of my phone. I know, weird, but it keeps me from forgetting!

Okay, enough small talk. On to the desserts. The place is Andre Thierry Tellier Cafe. http://www.cafeandpastryshop.com/ The restaurant's only flaw is that they are not open on Sundays. My mom and I were debating where to go eat breakfast on Sunday before I went back to school and of course we wanted to go to Andre's, and of course they weren't open. It's like Chick Fil A. The only time you get a craving for Chick Fil A is on a Sunday, and everyone knows Chick Fil A isn't open on Sundays. Such a buzzkill. (According to Urban Dictionary, buzzkills do not have to be related to alcohol: anything that takes the edge off your fluff, a downer, something that ruins your good mood)

First off, if you ever decide to eat here, you can get a side size portion or a lunch portion. The only difference between the two is $2 and the fact that you get any of their desserts or pastries included with the lunch size portion. So basically you are paying $2 for a piece of cake, which is unheard of. So of course my mom and I go with the lunch size portion. Our first dish was a white chocolate almond and praline cake. I don't think that's the actual name for it, but the waitress didn't seem to be sure of what the exact name was. Basically, there was a top layer of white chocolate that looked to be like cheesecake, but actually had a lighter and fluffier texture than cheesecake. Underneath that was the praline layer that seemed to be a wafer like cookie. And the bottom layer was a very thin white almond cake. The whole dessert was topped with white chocolate shavings. Okay, I know many of you have already stopped reading because of the white chocolate. White chocolate is typically a very rich ingredient and can sometimes be overbearing. Even I, the chocolate queen, will admit that white chocolate can sometimes be too rich, but trust me, it wasn't in this dish. It was the lightest flavor of white chocolate that I have ever tasted while still staying true to the white chocolate flavor. The fluffiness of the white chocolate mousse layer with the crispiness of the praline wafer and subtle almond cake flavor was a breathtaking experience. It was the most unique combination of flavors. This is the kind of dessert that I like to come across. Something you have never heard of before. The praline wafer layer in this cake was the icing on the cake, the bow on a gift, and the cherry on a sundae. (Okay, I made those last two up, but there are no words to describe how brilliant the praline layer brought the whole cake together).

Our second dessert was a raspberry and pistachio mousse cake. The top layer was a thin layer of raspberry, the middle layer was a thick layer of pistachio mousse, and the bottom layer was some sort of brown spongy cake. The cake was moist and had obviously been soaked in some sort of liquor. I didn't get a pistachio taste from the pistachio layer, but the raspberry layer was out of this world. It was a less sticky version of raspberry jam. My favorite thing about the raspberry layer was that it left you hanging with with the crunchiness of the seeds. The crunchiness of the raspberry seeds carried the dish. As far as flavor goes, I probably could have done without the cake, however, it had a lot to live up to with the white chocolate cake sitting right next to it. I loved and appreciated the creativity of the dish and the flavors, and perhaps had I not been so busy eating the white chocolate cake, would have more amazing things to say about this dish.

The moral of this story is that everyone needs to pay a visit to Andres'. You will be happy that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment