Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hot Brandy Cream Pie

1. I would like to apologize for the majority of my blogs being about dessert when this is supposed to be a food blog. I just eat lots of dessert, what can I say?
2. Someone needs to ban me from being able to go look at any food related website. It would really help my eating habits, but I guess then I wouldn't have much to blog about. I guess I just need to find a good balance...
3. I did it. I finally got to try the Hot Brandy Cream Pie from Boston's that I so desired after trying the mousse cake last time. It was so worth the wait.

My friend Mollie and I always use catching up as an excuse to eat dessert. Or maybe I just use it as an excuse and Mollie feels forced to abide. This is most likely the case. I should probably check on that. So anyway, we sit down and Mollie tells me that she is not really that hungry and that asks if we should just share a dessert. Now, I'm not one to share a dessert no matter how full I am, but I'm working on being a better person and trying to compromise more often, especially when it comes to food. However, compromising when it comes to food is just about the hardest thing in the world for me, so I respond that it doesn't really matter, when really inside I'm desperately screaming 'PLEASE ORDER YOUR OWN DESSERT.' If I think it but don't say it out loud that's progress, right? I don't know what it is. Even when I'm trying to be good and cut back on my dessert intake or if I have eaten a four course dessert, I have this phobia that if I share a dessert with someone the world is going to end, and I won't have enough left for myself. People have actually told me that when they share a dessert with me they feel like they are in a race. Of course I took this extremely personally, but in reality I know it's true. I just can't help it. Anytime my boyfriend tries to sample a small bite of my dessert, I nearly bite his head off. It's just a reaction for me, now. It's who I am. I nearly have panic attacks when I let people sample my dessert. It's a major character defect.

So, the waitress comes and I order the hot brandy cream pie, and Mollie kind of looks at me like 'Crap, should I order my own,' and I know she is worried that I will blow a fuse if she doesn't so she does what any good friend would do and orders her own cream pie. Phew. I breathe a sigh of relief. When the waitress brings our desserts out, we realize they are huge. I silently almost wish we would have just split one. Not because I can't finish it, (Ha, yeah right), but because I am trying to cut back (I'm sure you can tell from my blogging). I look at her as if I know that I am a bad friend and make some lame joke like, "man, I guess we could have shared this." She tells me she is mad at me for letting both of us order our own, since she wasn't even hungry in the first place. I tell her that she will thank me once she takes a bite. And boy was I right.

Heaven. I'm actually not a huge Boston cream pie, so I'm not really sure why I was dying to try this version of it (must have something to do with my OCD to try all new things). However, this far exceeded any expectations I had.

"Our signature Boston Cream Pie smothered in brandy butter, drizzled with chocolate sauce and baked to perfection."

When I originally read the description, I was expecting it to have a taste of alcohol to it, but in fact, it didn't. The brandy butter made the cake so incredibly moist. Whenever I took a forkful of cake, it was moist and had this thin layer of butter that just melted into the moistness of the cake. The richness of the cream paired with the moistness of the cake was the perfect mouthwatering incorporation of texture and flavor. Dip the piece in some chocolate sauce, and you have a match made in heaven. There really is nothing like it, and it takes Boston cream pie to a whole other level. And in case you were wondering, Mollie told me that I was right and thanked me afterwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment