Saturday, August 8, 2009

Hello fellow foodies

Hello everyone. I am new to blogging but am very excited to start on this journey. I decided to start blogging because I love food, and I apparently talk about it too much, plus I secretly want to be discovered so that I can become a food critic and try all the amazing food that Bobby Flay makes on Iron Chef. (Don't worry I am a fan of all the Iron Chefs) Before my boyfriend hinted to me that people might get a little annoyed with my endless chatter about food, I didn't realize that anyone wasn't interested. After all, who doesn't want to know about the new Nutty Chocolate ice cream that Blue Bell came out with? Anyways, I decided that I needed an outlet, and now here I am.

So you're probably wondering why you should read my blog even though I am sure there are millions of others writing about food. And my answer to you is this: I am obsessed. No, really. There is no other way to describe it. Not only do I have the passion for food, but I have the obsession, and that is what others do not have. Let me explain:

Do you know anyone that orders, on average, three desserts at a nice restaurant and can eat them all after their appetizer and entree?

Do you know of anyone that has made friends and family members drive to a different restaurant after dinner just so they can try the newest dessert?

Do you know anyone that owns a Zagat book and crosses off restaurants as they go to them AND refuses to repeat restaurant until they have been to every single one in the book?

Do you know anyone that gets annoyed with people that order the same thing as their friend sitting next to them?

Do you know anyone that has ever finished a half gallon of ice cream by themselves?

Do you know anyone that is the most kind and selfless person that you know until it comes to food? And then they smack you if you attempt to try their food, even though they already announced at the beginning of dinner that they got to try the first bite of everyone at the table's meal?

Do you know anyone that has ever ordered a dozen cupcakes at a time and finished them all that same day?

Do you know anyone that turned down a laptop as a high school graduation present so that they could go to a few nice restaurants instead?

And finally, do you know anyone whose goal it is to try every single dessert at every nearby restaurant, every Blue Bell, Ben and Jerry's, Coldstone, and Marble Slab ice cream flavor, along with every new Pop-Tart flavor, and every new desert that comes out at fast food restaurants?

Okay, if you don't get the picture by now, then email me, and I can tell you more. Yes, there is more. If you can find someone that meets all of those criteria, then tell me. NOW. Because me and that person are food soul mates. But, I don't know that you will.

And this, ladies and gentleman, is why I am different than every other foodie out there. And yes, you should feel sorry for my friends, family, and especially my boyfriend who usually has to foot the bill.

I know you're probably thinking how high maintenance I am at this point, but I promise I am not! Only when it comes to food of course, but isn't that justified? I don't ask for Coach Purses. Just get me food. I am the easiest person to shop for. All you have to do is take me to a restaurant I have never been, and it must be in my Zagat book. Piece of cake. Mmm..cake..

Anyways, with this blog, I plan on blogging about, oh I don't know, any new desserts I happen to stumble upon (by the way, if you haven't noticed by this point, food is my passion but dessert is my obsession), restaurants, etc. I also wanted to be a critic to the many restaurants I have crossed off in my Zagat book. I thought people might find it interesting to hear what a twenty year old accounting major from Texas with no culinary background might have to say about the food of experienced chefs. I think it will be a good time for everyone. But, I do want to add a disclaimer:

I do read critics reviews of restaurants and movies and everything else, but I do not always listen to them. I read them, but I always keep an open mind. Everything, food especially, is so subjective. I don't feel that you can disregard a restaurant based off one bad night that someone else had. With that being said, any negative experiences I have had at restaurants that I happen to blog about are not by any means meant to discourage people from eating at those restaurants. Everything is an experience and everyone has different experiences. Even if I go to a restaurant and I hate the food, the experience is always worth it it to me, no matter how much money I spent. (Plus, I get to cross them off in my Zagat book!)

So now, I want to clear things up with how I got to be such a foodie. And my answer for you is this: I have no idea. I was the kid that ate chicken fingers at Mexican restaurants, I gagged when I ate salad, I hated it all. Honey nut cheerios, peanut butter sandwiches, chicken fingers, and Little Debbie Star Crunch and I was set. I mean I guess looking back, I did used to win pie eating contests every summer at our country club..but who knows. The summer after my senior year of high school my mom and I started trying out a lot of nice restaurants, and I started to become more obsessed with the idea of food. And ever since then it's just been somewhat of a gradual unfolding of this obsessed inner food freak. I literally eat, sleep, and breathe food. The other day I was trying to study for an accounting test and instead ended up watching Top Chef reruns and researching restaurants for Houston Restaurant Week. Hello, so much more interesting! It's times like those that I really do question what the heck I am doing studying accounting. No one else knows why either. I mean all I ever ask for on my birthday is to be taken to a nice dinner. Most people think that I'm weird, but I like to think of myself as unique. Okay, I am weird, but in a good way, right? Anyways, someday my dream of doing something with food will be fulfilled.

And to end this way too long blog ( I will work on condensing in the future, I just really got carried away with this whole talking about myself business!), I would like to tell anyone and everyone, foodies and non foodies, that Julie and Julia is a must see. I laughed, I cried, I smiled. It was amazing. Words cannot describe. Meryl Streep played an amazing Julia Child, and in fact everyone in the movie played the characters so well. My favorite part of the movie is when Julia and her husband were at dinner and he asked her what she liked to do and she said eat and he then told her that she was very good at it. Okay, reading those words on a blog do not begin to describe how perfect the scene was. All I could think about is, "that's me, that's what I am good at it!" And it was then, that I decided to go through with starting this blog..something that my boyfriend and mom have been telling me to do for a long time.


Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. I don't believe your boyfriend is the only one who "foots the bill" for your obsession with food - Let me check my a/e statements..... I'm looking forward to reading future blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete