Sunday, August 16, 2009

Puerto Rico



Hola! I am officially back from Puerto Rico. I know my many followers have missed my many blogs, but not to worry, I am back with many stories to tell! Instead of writing one extremely long blog about all the meals from Puerto Rico, I decided to break it up into separate blogs.

So we started our trip with a lovely meal of turkey dogs, salad, carrots, and a cookies n cream brownie on the airplane. Does anyone even know what a turkey dog is?? I still don't know what it is, and I ate one less than a week ago. It basically looked like a thicker version of a hot dog and was wrapped in bread. I am not a huge hot dog fan to begin with, but I decided to give it a go. There is nothing more frightening and gross than taking that first bite into a hot dog, or I'm sorry, turkey dog. It's such a weird looking specimen that you just can't help but be hesitant. It ended up being pretty good, considering. The turkey dog itself tasted similar to a regular hot dog, and the bread surrounding it tasted like pure soft dough. It was delish, to say the least. After a few bites, I couldn't get over the fact that I was eating a turkey dog, and had to put it down. After finishing off the rest of the bread part of course. As for the carrots and salad I'm sure you can take a wild guess and decide for yourself what those tasted like. And finally, to finish it all off we had a small 150 calorie cookies n cream brownie. It wasn't the best brownie I have ever had, but it definitely wasn't bad. It was harder than a normal brownie is, but had huge Oreo chunks in it. I prefer my desserts to be a little bit larger, but what can you do? I even saved the top part of the wrapper from the brownie so that all you foodies out there would know what brand it is and everything.

As a side note: I used this small wrapper for the remainder of my trip as a bookmark for The Time Traveller's Wife. I must say, it was somewhat challenging making sure it didn't blow away while laying on the beach with the wind blowing everywhere. I was sitting at breakfast by myself the last morning of our trip, reading my book as I waited, and when my waiter came over to bring me out my delicious meal, (more on that later) I grabbed the small wrapper from the table and stuck it in my book. Needless to say, she looked at me like I was crazy. Only someone like me would use a brownie wrapper as a bookmark.

Anyways, the name of the brand is Love and Quiches Desserts. I'm sure it's some brand that only sells to airlines, but good luck anyways!

And now to our first night in Puerto Rico! Well first of all, it poured the whole entire night. It was awful. I was convinced that our trip was going to be horrible and ruined. We took a taxi from our hotel and got dropped off in Old San Juan, which by the way, is beautiful. We had no idea where we would end up, but figured we would just walk around until something looked appealing. And then it starts to monsoon. Literally. We had to hide under a covered building until it stopped. Which it didn't, so we ended up making a run for it to a bar across the street. The boys (my boyfriend and his two friends) decided to have a beer while we waited for the rain to stop. I decided to chat up people at the bar to find out where we could find some good old Puerto Rican food. A guy happened to tell me of this amazing place called Genesis. He said his girlfriend worked there and they had the best authentic Puerto Rican cuisine and assured me he wasn't just telling me that because his girlfriend worked there. This should have been a big red flag.

We left the bar after it stopped raining, only for it to start pouring again. We found Genesis and were excited for our taste buds to take an adventure. The menu itself was very disappointing. I, being the food obsessed freak that I am, remembered running past a restaurant on our way to Genesis that looked really crowded. I told the boys I would take one for the team and run through the pouring rain just to go check out the menu. And she's off! I ran as fast as I could in my oh so sturdy sandals through the rain to the restaurant to see if the menu was any better than Genesis. People were looking at me like I was a mad woman. No, I am not a mad woman. Just a very dedicated and obsessed foodie. I ran underneath an umbrella where a huge group of people were waiting outside the restaurant. I found out that there was a twenty minute wait for the restaurant, so I ran back to Genesis stood in the doorway dripping and stared ahead. I tried.

We all ordered the same thing. Stuffed chicken with sweet plantains with rice and beans. Sounds good right? Wrong. Terribly terribly wrong. First of all, I took a picture of my meal, and the chicken and rice blended in with the plate.
There is something wrong with that picture. (Ha ha, get it?) The first bite was actually decent, but I think it was because we were so hungry. The plantains were sweet as they should be and blended well with whatever sauce was covering the chicken, but if you ended up with a bite of just chicken, it was so dry. Nothing is worse than dry tasteless chicken. I am not a huge fan of white rice, but will eat it, but it was completely undercooked. The beans were decent except it was more like bean liquid than beans. I literally ended up drinking them. The salads we were served were shredded lettuce. I am not exaggerating. There was nothing else. We were given bottles of olive oil and vinegar. Thanks, but if I wanted olive oil and vinegar I could have just gone to Subway. (Puerto Rico actually did have Subways. Very Americanized, which obviously makes sense, but shocked me) I then asked what sort of dessert Puerto Rico was known for. Flan. Of course it is. I hate flan. The texture itself is just disgusting. Lucky for me there was a Haagen Dazs store right across the street from our hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment