Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Crispy French Toast

I'm sad to say that there isn't anything too exciting to say about the rest of our meals. The boys had to have pizza on our last night, and I tried not to throw a fit about the fact that we were eating something we could eat any other time on our last night. But to make up for it, I did have an amazing breakfast on our last day...after somewhat of a fiasco.

My boyfriend woke me up at 5:00 AM Saturday morning and told me that while he was trying to change our seat arrangements for our flight that day, he discovered that my boarding pass said that my plane departed Friday afternoon. AKA I was supposed to already be back in Houston. Somehow, I had booked my ticket wrong and had booked my departure for a day earlier than I was supposed to. (Not too sure how this happened, considering I was the first one to book the trip.) I then called Continental and told them about my issue, and they informed me that according to their records my ticket had been used and that there was nothing they could do for me over the phone. I had to go to the airport myself. So, at 5:30 in the morning we headed to the airport, told the staff of my situation, waited an hour, paid an extra $150 for a flight change, and two $20 cab fares to and from the airport and were back at the hotel at 7:00 AM. Phew. Needless to say, I was in need of a very fulfilling breakfast to wash away my sorrows. Crunchy French Toast.

I had been debating getting this all week but wasn't sure how I felt about paying $17 for french toast, but finally decided that desperate times call for desperate measures. Plus, it was whole wheat bread, with light syrup, and fruit. Totally worth it. Carb friendly and everything. Well, the french toast turned out to be amazing. There were four pieces and every bit of the toast was coated with corn flakes. It wasn't exactly crispy after I drenched it in syrup, but it was still incredible. The dish came with strawberries and bananas as well. Imagine the sweetness of syrup with the crunch of corn flakes paired with a slight sugary tasted from the powdered sugar with a tangy strawberry slice. It was the perfect fusion of flavors. Not only did it taste good, but the colors from the fruit next to the textured textured look of the toast were absolutely beautiful. It was so pretty I didn't want to eat it. I recommend finding a way to make it at home.

Cab Fare $40
Additional Air Fare Cost $150
Crispy French Toast $17
The pure bliss after eating crispy french toast PRICELESS

1 comment: