Saturday, August 8, 2009

White and Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake

So you know sometimes when you just get hit with that craving. At first it just subtly taps you on the shoulder and then it becomes like an annoying itch and just consumes you until you give in. If you don't know what I am talking about, then you are one of the lucky ones. This consuming feeling happens to me every night after dinner. It's like as soon as I'm done with dinner this alarm goes off and triggers this craze within me, and at that point there is nothing that can or will try to come between me and dessert.

I was planning on holding back on dessert tonight because I have been planning for days to demolish a new dessert at Applebee's with a friend of mine tomorrow (more on that later.. and yes I plan my dessert eating ahead). I wanted to mentally prepare myself and my stomach for the domination that will occur tomorrow. But then, sure enough, that little alarm went off and reminded me that there are two new desserts from Boston's (the restaurant) that I must try. I swear, when I see the words New or Limited Time Only on a menu, it's like my body goes into panic mode. I'm immediately flooded with this great fear that if I don't get in there right now before the millions of other people who research dessert menus online, I will never have the opportunity again. So sure enough, I found myself calling Boston's and ordering a dessert to go. Yeah, I know, just dessert. Who does that? The icing on the cake was when I was walking up to the restaurant. It was about 9:30, and I was already dressed for bed, and as I walk up I see tons of college students outside on the patio drinking beer and having a good time. So of course, I pull the whole "act like you're text messaging so you look cool move," because I mean come on, I was dressed for bed going to pick up a dessert by myself at Boston's. I mean what is this, Bridget Jones Diary? Then of course the guy at the to-go counter cracks some joke and says, "Oh, I was hoping you weren't going to show up so that I could eat your dessert." ...He obviously didn't know who he was messing with.

So now to the dessert itself! White and Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake. First off, let's be serious. It's from Boston's, a chain restaurant, so it's not going to be some amazing creation that Jacques Torres concocted. (I just googled famous dessert chef) But, being a poor college student, I have accepted the fact that these desserts will have to suffice for now. Plus, they pretty much always fulfill my cravings and my obsession with crossing yet another food item off my infinite list.

So here is the description provided by Boston's on the website; the one that lured me in. Layers of dark and white chocolate mousse between moist chocolate cake and covered with chocolate ganache. Not too shabby, eh? So I started by taking a bite of cake with chocolate mousse. Mm. Then a bite with cake and white chocolate mousse. Double mm. I was starting to think this was actually going to be pretty amazing. Then, as I continued eating, I realized it was just like any other chocolate cake with too sweet of a ganache that only people like me can finish, with some mousse in the middle that was flavored like pudding. But of course, I finished it anyways and it served it's purpose. I just can't help but wonder what would have happened had I gone with the Hot Brandy Cream Pie instead...

1 comment:

  1. I have a feeling you are going to find out about what it would have been like to go with the brandy dessert pretty shortly....

    ReplyDelete